Monday, October 31, 2016

Wood-Mizer


Today Mr. Tree Man brought over his Wood-Mizer.  Oh the machines I never knew existed!  



Wood-Mizer milled 3 logs right in our own backyard.


This piece perhaps, once cured, will be my new floating fireplace mantle.  We have several to choose from.  Just look at the patterning.



Mr. Tree Man cut 4", 2" and 1 1/2" thick boards for us.  Mantle, bench, cutting boards, bookshelves, night tables, oh my.  Mr. Tree Man talked about live edges and told me to look on Pinterest.  Oh dear, I need to stay off of Pinterest.



Just look at this.  When it was cut Mr. Tree Man laid the cut edges together.  He called them "bookends" and look at the butterfly pattern it makes.  There is still a huge trunk to get milled but that requires a different machine.  So if you like machines....

Stay Tuned, Abby and Stephanie


8 comments:

Sandy said...

Isn't nature simply amazing. Those "bookends" are absolutely beautiful. I have never seen nor even heard of a Wood-Mizer before today.

crazy quilter said...

How cool is that tree! How very wonderful you will have a piece of history in your house... Quite a talented Mr Tree Man you have there.. Lucky you.

Jeanna said...

We are learning so many new things with your project. Very fun :)

Needled Mom said...

How fun!!! I love the results. That will make an amazing mantle and .............

Candace said...

Oh, you know me and machines...and wood! Gosh, such beautiful pieces! Give Mr. tree Man an extra cookie for me:>)
Cheers!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! That's awesome! We've had chippers and splitters and various saws here, but never THAT machine. I had no idea they could be portable! I LOVE that you're keeping so much of that beautiful tree where it started!

Carrie P. said...

the grain is awesome in that tree. yes, pinterest can get us in trouble. my hubby has started work on some things for our house. he just bought a planner which is also a pretty amazing machine.

KaHolly said...

How cool is that? I had no idea they did that! XO